Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My chat with Marybeth Bagonghasa

For my inaugural post of Moi 2 MUAH (Make Up and Hair), I thought it would be fun to interview my friend Marybeth Bagonghasa.  Marybeth has been working as a makeup & hair artist for over 20 years, and her clients range from bridal, to fashion, to commercial, to celebrity.

I didn't meet Marybeth as a makeup artist.  I met Marybeth at our Alma Mater Long Beach Poly High School.  We both danced together in the Poly dance program and on drill team. After high school, we didn't get to hang out as much, but our paths kept crossing.   I was busy working on a dance career, and supplementing my income as a makeup artist.  Marybeth was going to school and was also doing makeup!

I find her story interesting because we both have managed to have thriving careers in the beauty industry, but we have taken totally different paths.  I was able to catch up with her chatting one morning on Facebook.


Marybeth Bagonghasa Makeup & Hair Artist

LMR: In what capacity do you work in the makeup industry?

MB: Majority of my work is in print and commercial. Lately has been on TV shows.


LMR: What is your favorite medium to work in?


MB: I favor print, honestly because of the hours. I like to always be on my feet and constantly working. Working on film set has a lot of down time which makes the already long hours even longer. Plus I'm a mom to a toddler so obviously I would love to get home and spend time with him sooner.


LMR: I am not a film person. I love print too.  


MB: Lol, yeah, I remember your comment about that weekend you did a zombie movie.


LMR: Yes, I just wanted to do zombies hahaha.. but the hours blow! I want to get home to my hubby too. How did you get started?


MB: I believe my first official makeup job was at Glamourshots at Lakewood mall. My hubby's best friend was dating a girl who worked there and she got me the interview. I brought a friend and had to glam her up as my interview and I got hired


LMR: OMG, I didn't know, or forgot! I worked there when it was Freeze Frame! I brought Maria Gillamac to mine!


MB: I know it's really funny. I brought Michie.


LMR: Can you name drop some celebrities you've worked with?


MB: Um, does doing their hair count lol?


LMR: Yes, of course hair counts! You're touching them lol..


MB: Ok let's see... who have I touched? lol.. The Kardashians, Orlando Bloom, Melissa McCarthy, Josh Peck...I haven't had my morning coffee. I'm having a brain lapse....


LMR: That's okay! That's plenty lol..


MB: I see faces but can't remember the names. .. the guy from "Parks and Recreation?" Ahh.. It's Adam Scott!


LMR: I don't watch that one. I do stay up late to watch those shows he does on Adult Swim so I know who you're talking about. How many years have you been doing makeup?


MB: If you count weddings, that would be since 1990s..but I didn't focus on print 'til 2004.


LMR: Of course you count weddings! It's good for the readers to know. I am not a wedding person and done mostly family and friends weddings, and maybe an occasional model. Do you still do weddings? Do you enjoy them?


MB: I love doing weddings. That's where I really feel I got my start, since I was on my own, and got really confident. I still do weddings but I don't really advertise. Nowadays wedding bookings are mostly referral-based.


LMR: If you could have chosen another path, what career would you have taken?


MB: I have always loved to dance and part of me wish I had taken that path since I see these young kids dancing and I reminisce and tell myself, gosh I used to be able to do that. Now I breathe wrong and I pull a muscle lol!


LMR: What jobs have been your favorite?


MBM: I really enjoyed this past winter working on the "Under The Gunn" set. The people that I worked with were all amazing. Yes the hours were long, but honestly I was having so much fun I looked forward to every filming. And it's pretty cool to now see the show on air. I still find it weird to see myself on tv.


LMR: What do you want for the future of your career?


MB: I would love to just have enough savings to work comfortably on my schedule but still be able to work with personal clients. Part of me really want to pursue other aspects of makeup like special fx.


LMR: What are your kit must haves?


MB: My go to products that are staples in my kit are Cetaphil moisturizer, MUFE gel liner, MUFE face and body foundation, MakeupArt.net palette of mineral powders, CoverFX foundations and blotting pressed powders, BlowPro Texturizing Spray BlowPro Dry Shampoo Powder.....so many to choose from.


LMR: What is your own beauty regimen?


MBM: I'm pretty easy breezy when it comes to my own. I literally do my makeup in five minutes so obviously I don't wear much. I always slather my face with a moisturizer like Cetaphil and wear sunscreen or BB cream. a little brow, little eyeliner, curl lash, mascara, and lip balm.. I'm set. Then I just wash it all off at night then slather my moisturizer again

LMR: Do you have a mentor or mentors? How have they affected you?


MB: For makeup, I don't really have a mentor that I could go. I get inspired by other makeup artists by reading about them and looking up their work. I loved all the Kevyn Aucoin books when they first came out and used to spend hours at Barnes and Noble reading all the makeup books.


LMR: What other artists inspire you?


MB: Artists like Sam Fine, Bobbi Brown, Joe Blasco & Way Bandy were my inspirations when I was starting out.


LMR: What do you do when you are not doing makeup?


MB: I mostly spend time being a mommy when I'm not at work. I mean I'm a mom 24/7 but on my days off, I really keep that time devoted to spending with family and friends. I wish I have more interesting answers for you.. lol!


LMR: No, your answers are great! I want to have a broad range of makeup artists on my blog. Aspiring makeup artists need to see that it's not all about going to the club and sipping champagne with the talent you just worked with. We might be more passionate about our job than in other fields, but it's still our 9-5 and we have other facets of our lives! Do you have any words of wisdom for aspiring hair and makeup artists?


MB: Yes, just really simple. Just strive to do your best in doing something that you love. I never feel like my work is "work" because I always look at it as "wow, in getting paid to do something that I love!" Always treat everyone around the way you'd like to be treated. It's a small enough industry that you never know something bad might come back to you. And please, just enjoy what you do and always learn, practice, and keep learning.

Network with everyone you meet, have business cards ready at all times, and don't forget to network with other MUAHS (make up and hair artists). Many times we have double bookings and need to pass on other jobs.

LMR: Thanks so much Marybeth! How can we find you and your work?


MB: www.marybethbeauty.com

          www.facebook.com/marybethbeauty
www.twitter.com/MarybethBeauty
          www.instagram.com/muah_artist




At Long Beach Poly High School on our drill team, Polyettes!  Marybeth is in the front row standing to the right of the bunny, and I am in the very front sitting to the right of the bunny.  And a there's Cameron Diaz in the very left corner of the picture!


Marybeth & I dancing in a duet for our school production at Long Beach Poly.


Marybeth and I backstage for Sin Industries fashion show at Hollywood and Highland.


Screenshot from a behind the scenes video Marybeth & I worked on together for a fitness clothing company.

One of Marybeth's many magazine covers.


Marybeth working her hair magic with Kim Kardashian for T-dink Magazine.



Marybeth (pictured 2nd from the right) and the "Under The Gunn" Makeup & Hair team.


Marybeth's work with "The Tequila Sisters" on the side of a truck.


Marybeth's work on the "Turistas" movie poster
































www.marybethbeauty.com

1 comment:

  1. Site looks great, Liza! Thanks for letting me be the first ;)

    Marybeth

    ReplyDelete